Hey everyone,
I'm now back to work on Demon Age and I'm currently working on the second area.
Alpha updates are bit harder to do right now because it wouldn't make much sense to release a new update when the second area is only partially done or I'm in the middle of implementing new mechanics. So the plan is that once the second area is completely done I will release a new update for alpha testers and then around two weeks later for beta testers.
Besides working on the second area, I have also spent a lot of time working on companions and their behavior when they follow you.
Previously, enemy battles would trigger as soon as they collide with you or one of your companions, but the problem was that once you have two or more companions following you it was very hard to avoid enemy encounters. So now enemies will ignore your companions and simply run through them. The battle will now only start when they collide with the player character.
Things like these seem like they were no big deal but they can become annoying very quickly, especially if you try to avoid some fights for whatever reason.
But the biggest change is that you can now interact and talk with your companions any time they follow you. They will say different things depending on which area you are in, they will occasionally give you some hints if you get stuck somewhere, and some companions, like Nina for example, will also be able to heal you or do other things. In the future I want to expand that even further with more dialogues depending on your relationship with them.
I think this way your companions will feel much more alive and not only like mindless NPCs who just follow you around.
That's all for this week's progress update, next time I will show you some more teasers for the second area.

No comments:
Post a Comment